Saturday, January 07, 2006

Self-discipline?

As the new year rolled around this year I came face to face with the classic tradition of making a New Year's Resolution. I have never made one. As a matter of face I hate the idea. Why is it that I wait until the first day of the year to decide what thing I need to change, and then I spend the next 11 1/2 months wondering why I only lasted 2 weeks on such a great resolution. That is what it has looked like on the outside to me, but this year I resolved to be different. I would plunge forward into this strange new world of resolutions and actually make one myself. What would possess me to move from such comfort and mediocrity? The answer is simple. I think it would be fun (I dont know why it would be, but it is) see if I can do this for a year. I will just call my own little self-discipline (or lack there-of). I had to choose wisely. I wanted it to be something meaningless, so I chose to refrain from all soda products for one year. What are the benefits? None except that I have a cheaper bill when I go out to eat, and I guess some kind of health junk (but I dont really care about that). I typed all of this to get to one point. What role does self-discipline have in the Christian life? How does it play out in regard to sin? It sounds like an easy question. Of course self-discipline can't free me from sin. I cant defeat sin on my own effort because then I would be able to boast. It is all grace. I think this is true, but lets look at the other side. Why is self-discipline one of the fruits of the spirit in Gal 5:23? It is also found in some very interesting verses in 2 Peter 1:4-9 (you should look at these verses real quick). There was a time in my life when all of my dependence was on self-discipline. I would have my devos in the morning and decide that today I would work on love. I will be more loving today. Or maybe I would work on my tongue because it sure would be a good thing if I could control that pesky little muscle. All of my Christian life was a matter of self-discipline. The dependence was on me, not God; and the focus was on action not relationship. When things finally began to click in my heart about grace and the intimate walk with the Savior, I took a ride on the pendulum to the other side. No self-discipline. I did what I wanted and what I felt like. If I didnt feel like spending time with God I simply refused to do it. I am now looking at this and wondering where the balance is here. God has already freed me from sin (Romans 6), but in the midst of this there is some responsibilty to flesh it out in my life (also in Romans 6 i.e. "do not yield your memners" and "consider yourselves dead to sin") Here is what I am getting at...Let's not forget that self-discipline is part of the Christian life. Not something to boast in or to depend on, but it is supposed to be there.

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

wow. that is kinda what ive been stuggling with, the balance of the "i need to work on this (almost as a substitue for "hey this is me spending time with God")" and forget working on anything at all. i appreciate your thoughts. i look forward to many more. oh, and i'm doing the whole no soda thing too, so we'll see how that goes... haha later tater

Sarah said...

Thanks Fayez. I too have been thinking about the part self discipline should play in our lives. I am glad to see your perspective on things.

trace said...

me too on the no soda tip. i already forgot once, but i got back on the horse. thanks for the perspective

Anonymous said...

Are we drinking too much soda pop?
By Doreen La Duca,
Colorado State University
Food Stamp Nutrition Education Program
Cooperative Extension, Jefferson County
August 21, 2001

When thirst comes on, the beverage of choice for many Americans is a soft drink. Americans have enjoyed soft drinks for more than 100 years. Today however, the concern is that Americans are drinking more soda pop than is healthy for them.

Since the mid -1980's a sharp rise in sugar consumption has occurred. This just happens to coincide with a 47 percent increase in carbonated soft drinks. It is estimated that each person consumes 14.5 ounces of regular soft drinks per day.

Each 12-ounce can of soda pop contains between 10 and 12 teaspoons of sugar. The following list reflects the amount of sugar (in cups) and calories, as they compound with each can of soft drink consumed.

One soda (about 1/4 cup and 140 calories)
Two sodas (about 1/2 cup and 280 calories)
Three sodas (about 3/4 cup and 420 calories)
4 sodas (about 1 cup and 560 calories)
5 sodas (about 1 1/4 cups and 700 calories)
6 sodas (about 1 1/2 cups and 840 calories)
So why is this of concern? First, soda pop contains calories but no nutrients and thus replaces other foods that provide more nutritional value. For optimum health, it is best to choose beverages, at least most of the time, that will provide vitamins and minerals necessary for good health. Water is a great choice too.

Those drinking large amounts of soda pop could be at risk for osteoporosis, especially if soda is replacing milk or other calcium-rich foods. This is a special issue for teens, whose bones are growing at peak levels and who need three to four servings of milk or milk products each day.

Large amounts of sugar in the form of soda pop also can promote tooth decay. Sugar is not the only factor in tooth decay, but the acid in soda pop can dissolve tooth enamel, and this can lead to cavities.

Sixty-one percent of the population is overweight or obese and soda pop can be a contributing factor.

Children and teens are the heaviest consumers of soda pop. The industry markets to children in schools, on television and the radio. In addition, vending machines are available at many locations, including schools. The soft drink industry offers money to schools through revenues that come from vending machines. Some schools raise as much as $100,000 per year this way. The money helps schools purchase computers and other much-needed items, but is this practice really helping our children? A legislative move currently is underway to restrict the sale of vending machine items during school hours.

While drinking soda pop is not an evil in and of itself, it does not promote any health benefits and excessive soft drink consumption could have negative health effects. Moderation is the key to beverage choices. An occasional soft drink will do us no harm, but several a day provide extra sugar and calories that most of us do not need.

Sarah said...

I say go for the diet version. While it may kill me...there is no sugar intake.

trace said...

yeah, sarah, but that aspertame is a b---- beast!

Christie said...

Fayez, I went soda-less in 2001 and kept the resolution. I did it to be more healthy and not be dependent on them. I think you will start to find that there are a lot of other drinks worth enjoying. I never knew how much I liked lemonade until that year. I'm doing it again this year* to save money and be more healthy. I wish you much success! I have to warn you that on new year's day in 2007, a soda will taste much different!
*With the exception of Sprite. If you've ever seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Sprite is my windex. If I'm feeling any kind of sickness, a Sprite always helps!

Fayez said...

I do the same thing with Sprite. I thought that I was the only who thought that Sprite has some very potent medicinal value